Friday 21 March 2014

Diary of an Abuja Billionaire: Week 23

Jamal is an Abuja-based billionaire bachelor and businessman who works hard and parties hard. Welcome to his world.
Week 23

Monday
Last night was a thrill, and I don’t regret it. Nnenna knows it was a one-off, she enjoyed it and so did I. We’re both engaged, will soon be married and will move on; Zainab never needs to know. Ishaya started work in Kaduna today, but he knows I’m watching him. Finally secured the Kenyan Construction company, and the five Tom Ford suits and range of silk, hand-embroidered kaftans I ordered arrived today, along with other stock for my men’s designer boutique.

Tuesday
I don’t know how, but my therapist Dr Ferral, who I talk to once a week, could tell that some extra-curricular sexual activity occurred with me over the weekend, but I denied it. Thankfully Zainab did not suspect a thing, and that’s all that mattered. We were planning a trip to Canada this weekend, and she was nervous about meeting my mother. I flew to Nairobi to smooth over the takeover deal, and tonight at my hotel, I dreamt of Nnenna.

Wednesday
Had meetings all day at my new company’s offices and visited some of the sites; a lot of operational changes, firings and hirings will need to be made. The new Nairobi MD was adequate, but I’ll be watching him closely. The private investigator I hired to watch Ishaya’s mother reported that she was checked into the hospice I booked for her and by all indications, really did have cancer. My mum was wrong. But the Investigator also confirmed that Ishaya had been to rehab for cocaine addiction, so she was right about that.

Thursday
After another morning of talks and meetings, I flew back to Abuja and straight to a candle-lit dinner arranged by Zainab and my chef Daniel, under the gazebo in my garden, with champagne, an Italian three-course meal, soft music playing in the background and my peacocks walking around. “I know you will always have secrets Jamal, but it’s OK, I have secrets too,” Zainab said. I looked at her, her long hair cascaded unto her bare shoulders, her blue strapless, Alaia summer dress billowing down to her Miu Miu wedges. Anger flared my nostrils but I calmed down. “That’s OK” I said.

Friday
Zainab and I flew to Canada this afternoon, after collecting some gifts for my mother from Zainab’s family and procuring a heap of the dawada my mother specifically asked for. We checked in at the Four Seasons in Toronto, then a chauffeur-driven executive car took us to my mother’s bungalow. I hadn’t seen my mother in nearly 10 years and I was shocked by how shrivelled she looked. Her thick hair was thin and grey and her eyes were teary. But she had lost none of her hot temper or sharp tongue, and barely hid her distaste for Zainab, who remained respectful. We took her to dinner and I pretended not to see her hand shaking every time she lifted her fork to her mouth.

Saturday
I was in meetings all day with businessmen, prospective colleagues and ambassadorial staff so Zainab spent the day with my mother and accompanied her to the hospital as she refused to stay in hospice. That evening, I told her that Ishaya’s mother was really sick, just as she was, and she kissed her teeth in disdain. Whilst Zainab was in the kitchen, I asked her what she thought of my fiancĂ©e. She grunted her reply and looked away. “I feel so sorry for your mother Jamal,” Zainab told me in our suite that night. “She needs family looking after her. All her toughness is an act.” 

Sunday
Zainab and I took a helicopter ride over Niagra Falls, but my mother refused to come. The truth was her body was very weak, and her loneliness was sad to see, but she refused to have anyone come and stay with her except a nurse and cleaner who visited regularly. Throughout my stay we never mentioned my father or Uncle Gumbo. “I can arrange a jet to fly you to Rome for our wedding,” I told her. "I don't want to come to your wedding," she said. I grabbed my suitcase and walked out of the house. I knew I would never see my mother alive again.

No comments:

Post a Comment