Monday 13 January 2014

Through Her Lens

Photographer Aisha Augie-Kuta talks about her work in the fashion industry with Michaela Moye

When did you start your photography career and how has the journey been so far?

Photography became my main job in 2008; but before then it was my greatest hobby. I got my first camera from my father as a child and that triggered my love for the art. After years of working at a regular desk job I decided to pursue my dream of becoming a full time photographer, and it has been an excellent journey so far. I had my hiccups along the way, because it was tough convincing some people that I was good at my job or that I could actually do it because they saw photography as a male dominated industry. I have experienced life in general through my lens and I have been blessed to be able to execute the concepts and ideas I come up with.

What do you think of the fashion industry and of fashion photography in Abuja?

The Abuja fashion industry is growing really fast; it’s an exciting era. I meet talented fashion designers all over the city these days so I look forward to what the next few years have to offer. As for fashion photography, it is slightly slower in pace than the fashion industry. The designers are still not experimenting enough with photography, so that makes it harder for the business to grow. Most designers are not willing to pay enough to achieve concepts, some because they can’t afford it and others because they do not appreciate photography as an art form yet. But for the few who understand the importance, they are catalysts towards the growth of the industry.

What are the pros and cons of being based in Abuja?

Abuja is a new city and there are ample opportunities everywhere, especially for entrepreneurs. Unfortunately, it is also a struggle to make ends meet because Abuja is a very expensive city to live and work in, which makes the costs of running a business ridiculously high.  My high points would be getting recognised, celebrated and paid properly for my work; and also meeting people, especially young girls or women who tell me I’ve inspired them. My lowest points would definitely be what we call the ‘Naija Factor.’ This is when simple things like time management and lack of electricity can cause major problems with the type of work I want to achieve. This is frustrating because I deal with this daily.

Who or what inspires you?

I am inspired by children and sunsets. Every time I see a child, I remember to look at everything I see through my lens from a child-like perspective. They find everything new and fascinating without rules or stereotypes. Sunsets remind me that I believe in a higher being. Sunsets are God’s own art and this keeps me grounded. My number one role model – as cliché as it sounds – is my mother. She is a career woman and a strong character who has discipline, determination and patience.

What’s next on the agenda?

Next on the agenda is our Centre for Art and Creative Talent (CACT). It was hard finding mentors and support when I started out in photography, especially in Abuja. So I decided to co-establish this initiative with a few professional friends to support artists in and around the city. We are working hard to push this initiative and the support so far has been overwhelming.

No comments:

Post a Comment